Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Mothers Day Post

I have some mixed feelings about Mothers Day, as one would probably expect. Here are my thoughts...

I know Steve is going to suck at doing the Mother's Day thing for me and I feel kinda sad about that. Because after everything that I've been through to become a mother, and everything I do on a daily basis to be a good mom to Ruby - I think I deserve a little sumthin-sumthin. A little TLC. A day of being made to feel special and appreciated.

On the other hand, tomorrow will be special and significant to me even without any extras. Because I have Ruby. And I will enjoy spending the day with her. Reflecting on what it means for me to be her mom... How it is nothing at all like I would have expected. How it has changed me in so many ways, for the better, ways I could never have imagined.

And while I appreciate the need to celebrate our own mothers, (and I do intend on showing my own mom just how much I love and appreciate her) I do not want to spend my whole day and all my energy by fussing over my MIL or my mom. They both live an hour away, in different towns and I can already see that we'll be running around to visit them and fuss over them. But I'm a mom now too, and I deserve to enjoy Mother's Day just as much as anyone else.

As I was picking out cards for my mother and Steve's mother, I saw that there was a lot of cards from grandchildren to their grandmothers on Mothers Day. And I thought about maybe getting our moms each a card from Ruby (in addition to cards from us). But then I gave my head a shake and decided that this is not something that I want to start doing. Because that just means twice the work for me every year. Eff off, Hallmark - you almost sucked me in.

Also - on Mothers Day I will be thinking of my comrades in IF. I know all too well how painful the day can bee for those who are still in the trenches, fighting the fight. I wish for all of you to come out of this battle successful (in one way or another) and with some peace in your heart.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Mother's Day! I hope you have a good day.

Julia said...

I feel the same way...it YOUR day now and THEY should understand.

Happy Mother's Day to you!

JJ said...

A bulleted comment:

I hope you did have a lovely 1st Mother's Day--did Steve step up?=)

Im sorry to hear about your friends dad...

Your tattoo is just rockin' I cant wait to get my next one!

Im just proud of you for doing WW, period. Im still not motivated enough...

Emily said...

Good for you to tell Hallmark to stuff it - damn I hate them and all their invented holidays!

Hope everything worked out yesterday!!!

xoxo

Somewhat Ordinary said...

I hope your 1st Mother's Day was great!

You know I just get them cards from the baby now. I know they aren't his mom, but they get a kick out of it and he is the one they go gaga over so I just opted out on cards from us.

annacyclopedia said...

I hope your day was really good, and that being with Ruby more than made up for Steve's fumbling (although I am secretly hoping he surprised you and lavished you with splendid gifts and food and treats.) You so deserve to be appreciated and honoured for being a mother - not just on Mother's Day, but every single day of the year.